It was supposed to be easy; just dump the ingredients in and push the button to make the bread. In theory that is correct. However, the first time I did that the paddle wasn’t fastened into the bottom and there was no way for the Bread Machine to mix the dough.
It’s my husband’s fault. If I think long enough I can blame everything on my husband. Everything. In this case, he was the person that previously used the bread machine [and turned out a very nice loaf] but when he returned the pieces to the bread machine he did not fasten the paddle in.
I know that I should have checked it for myself, but I’m short and with the bread machine on the back of the counter I have to make the extra pull-out-the-machine-and-stretch-up-to-see-the-bottom effort. Believe me, I check it every time now.
When my husband came home and saw that the ingredients were not mixed he tilted and fastened and pushed buttons and the bread was eatable – just a lot later then supper. It was very nice of him; it did also confirm that most people don’t have such a struggle with the bread machine – it’s just me; and little did I know that my struggles were just starting.